Rules & Regulations (Mustang & Pony Boys)
Live Pitch Boys Mustang (10U) & Pony (14U)
All-Star Rules and Regulations
Listed below are additions to the Rules and Regulations for PONY Baseball. These ground rules are intended to govern play in the Mustang Division. The Rules and Regulations of Pony Baseball can be viewed in their entirety at www.pony.org.
Practices shall be limited to three (3) per week before the season starts and one (1) per week during the season. Teams are restricted to three (3) activities (games and practices) per week. Practices shall be limited to two (2) hours maximum per session. Any meeting of the team with the manager or coach will be considered a practice. Violation of this rule could result in manager probation or dismissal. Batting practice on game day is not considered a practice.
Dimensions: Infield 60/70-foot square, 46/54 mound feet from home plate.
- All games will consist of six (6) innings, if time permits, with no new inning starting after one (1) hour and thirty (30) minutes. If the inning starts before the one (1) hour and thirty (30) minute mark, the inning must be finished. In the event of a tie, the game will remain a tie.
10u: Drop Dead at (1) hour and thirty (30)
- If time permits, each team will be allowed ten (10) minutes of infield practice before the start of the game. Visitors, team listed second, should take infield practice first.
- Each pitcher may pitch a maximum of 75/ 85 pitchers per day with a 4 days’ rest period. A pitcher that throws 1-20 pitches is required 0 days’ rest, 21-35 1-day rest, 36-50 2 days, 51-65 3 days, and 65-up 4 days. The rest period does not start until the next day after the game.
- Once removed, a pitcher may enter the game at a different position, however is not eligible to pitch again in that game.
- No more than Five (5) runs may be scored by a team during one (1) half inning. In the last inning, each team is allowed unlimited runs.
- Every player on a team roster will participate in each game for a minimum of six (6) defensive outs including three (3) defensive outs positioned in the infield. This requirement must be met during the first five (5) innings. Penalty: The player(s) involved will start the next scheduled game and play any previous requirement not completed and the requirement for the current game before being removed. The manager will receive a one (1) game suspension. A suspended manager may be a spectator of a game involving the team of which he is the manager.
- The inability of either team to place eight (8) players on the field before the game begins or anytime during the game is an automatic forfeit. All team members of the roster for that game will be listed in the batting order. Players arriving late to a game will have their names placed at the bottom of the batting order. Any player removed from the batting order, for any reason, will be counted as an automatic out during that players next turn at bat only.
- The manager shall fill out and turn in lineup sheets, in duplicate, ten (10) minutes prior to game time. The lineup sheets shall include each player’s full name, number, and the remaining eligibility of each pitcher. One copy is to be given to the official scorekeeper. Notifications of any team members ineligible to play in the game will also be given at this time. Late arrivals will be added to the bottom of line up and must be reported to the scorekeeper as well.
- Courtesy runners are allowed for pitchers and catchers only. The runner must be the last out of the inning. If there are no outs, the runner will be the third out from the previous inning.
- Shoes must be worn. The use of molded rubber, multi-purpose tennis shoes, or cleats is recommended. Metal cleats are not allowed.
- The full uniform must be worn (Hats, Shirts and Coaches Cards). Authentic hats with team’s color and logo are allowed. If a player does not wear full uniform, he will not be allowed to participate in the game.
- All protective equipment issued must be worn. All catcher must wear a throat protector, helmet or head protector with mask, shin guards, and a chest protector. All catchers must use a catcher’s glove. Each batter, runner, and on deck batter must wear a helmet. The helmet shall have safety features equal to or greater than those provided (with full plastic cap, extended ear flaps that cover both ears and temples). If a batter enters the batter’s box without a helmet, he will be declared out by the umpire. When an umpire witnesses a runner deliberately removing his helmet during action, the violator will be declared out immediately. This action, in no way, eliminates a force play situation.
- All coaches and assistants must remain in the dugout except on offense when occupying the coaches box (Only two (2) coaches are allowed on the field while team is on offense). While on defense, all coaches must remain in the dugout. If the coach refuses to follow the rule, then that coach may be ejected from the game. If the coach refuses to leave the game, the game will be forfeited.
- All players must wear baseball gloves when playing defense. There shall be no restrictions on types of gloves being used. The pitcher is not allowed to have white on his glove. Pitchers also cannot have batting gloves in their back pockets.
- No designated hitters allowed. Designated runners are allowed, the new runner will be the previous out.
- Coaches are allowed two mound visits per inning, per pitcher. On the second mound visit, the pitcher must be removed from the pitcher’s position. The player can be placed in a different position once being removed from pitching.
- PONY 14U: Runners may lead off and steal bases except for home. When the runner is on third he may lead off but can only steal home on a passed ball.
MUSTANG 10U: No Lead offs. Base runner may leave the base only once ball passes home plate. (First 3 weeks)
After a Drop three strike the runner is out.
- Pitchers are allowed no more than five (5) warm-up pitches in between each inning. A pitcher entering the game for the first time is allowed ten (10) warm-up pitches.
- Balks will be called by the umpire when the pitcher makes an illegal motion to either home or to pick off. Each pitcher will receive one (1) warning per inning.
- The manager will be responsible for the conduct of their team players and the players’ parents during all practices and games.
- The use of alcohol by any parent or spectator is prohibited.
- PONY 14U: The batter may run to first on the third strike, if the catcher drops the ball and first base is unoccupied. In the case of two (2) outs and first base occupied, the batter will be allowed to run to first even with first base being occupied.
MUSTANG 10U: In the case of third strike batter will automatically be out. Not matter what.
23. Slide/Avoid Contact Rule: Umpires will have the final decision on making the call. Rule will be enforced to avoid contact between the player and the catcher.
- If the visiting team is leading by at least ten (10) runs at the end of the fourth inning, the game shall be declared complete and the visiting team shall be declared the winner. If the home team is leading by at least ten (10) runs after the visiting team has completed batting in the fourth inning or later, the game shall be declared complete and the home team will be declared the winner.
- Home plate is considered “live”. If the runner is attempting to steal home, the batter must step out of the box. If the batter fails to do so, the batter will be called out. Homeplate will have a mandatory slide rule to avoid dangerous contact. Umpires will have the final decision on making that call.
- The coach appointed by the umpire will represent the team during official business. He/She will be the only representative that may consult the umpires once the game begins. Failure to do so may result in ejection of the coach or forfeit of the game. This rule applies to any parents in the dug-outs or in the spectators’ area. Violators will be asked to leave.
- The officials are there to umpire games, not to explain each call or justify each call to the coach. Officials will not address parents outside the playing area. Coaches must inform spectators not to insist on talking to officials, they will be warned once and then may be asked to leave the area of play.
- Tie in the standings.
(1) Head to Head
(2) Points Allowed
Note: A mask must be worn by anyone while warming up a pitcher at any time, including practices, during games and before games. Players are recommended to wear a cup.
Team players, coaches and parents shall pick up litter on and around the field and seating area after the game. Failure to do so will result in in the manager’s name being turned into the Board of Directors by the Director-on-duty. A manager’s name being turned in a second time will result in a one (1) game suspension.